Big Kid Makes -- January 2022

I didn't get all my Christmas sewing done...I didn't even come close. I've never been the type who was able to start their holiday work in July or August and see it completed by the end of October. I am, however, definitely the type to really ramp things up the week *before* Christmas and kill myself to get things done! Buuuuut...never all the things. I don't think I've ever actually completed *all* the Christmas sewing that I had planned. 

That rang true this past year. Unlike other years, though, I decided to just keep sewing after Christmas. My husband and I usually work to reserve some of his PTO to sort of pad out the week around Christmas, and with the lull in the school year for the kids on top of that, I ended up with some relaxed free time after the big day. So I informed a few key people who didn't get their gifts that, well, those gifts were forthcoming, and I still loved them...and I kept sewing! 

I joked on Instagram that I was making a new holiday: Craftsmas, a time for all the deadline-pushing-crafters to finish and gift their makes. I feel that Craftsmas basically lasts through the month of January, so I've been sewing and gifting as much as possible. A lot of my planned gifting was for my big kids, to round out some necessities in their wardrobes. It's like giving socks and underwear for Christmas. You know they need it...so you might as well wrap it up! So anyway, a handful of big kid makes for Craftsmas 2022: 



Red Christmas Eve dress 

Okay, so technically I actually finished and gifted these dresses for #hig2point0 riiiight before Christmas. This wintery red Ellie Dress, in fact, was one that I finished juuuust in time for our church's Christmas Eve service. I found this jersey fabric at JoAnn's just after Christmas last year, and really fell in love with the woodland animal print. It was perfect for Christmas Eve, but is still so beautiful and fun for the rest of winter, too. It doesn't have a lot of stretch or recovery, though, so I used this polka dot DBP for the pockets and binding.




I used the Ellie Dress from Lowland Kids for this make. I love that it has these HUGE pockets on the sides, and I like the bound neckline that scoops in the back, too. It's a perfect playdress that still looks great. I used elastic to reinforce the gathering at the waist, which I think helps the fit a bit, too. I'd like to make more of these. She's worn it at least six times since Christmas, so I think she'd like some more, too.

Also, you can just barely see them in the second photo, but I made up some Love Notions Leggins for her out of some denim-printed yoga knit scraps I had on hand. She's been needing new leggings!

Gold Floral Christmas dress

Our church's Christmas program was December 18th, and I was up til about 3am that morning finishing up this dress for it! I saw this Rifle Paper Co. cotton print somewhere in the world of Facebook sewists, and then proceeded to scour the rest of the internet until I finally found a few yards available on Etsy. It is metallic and beautiful and, once again, perfect for Christmas while still being wearable throughout the rest of the year. I wish I had eighty billion yards of it because it is so so gorgeous. I had some unbleached muslin on hand that ended up being perfect for the bodice panel and sleeve ruffles. The only drawback to these fabrics is their need for ironing, but they're so pretty...I ain't even mad. 



I used the Ava dress pattern from Simple Life Pattern Co., and added the waist ties and ruffles to the cap sleeves. I wish I'd had time to make the pleated skirt, as I think that would have been really stunning with this print and in cotton, but...like I said, I was up til 3am as is! 



I just reaaaaalllly like it. So two more pictures, just because! 

Warm Basics for the Biggest Kid

Every time I look at #babyhig he seems taller and skinnier, and his clothes seem shorter. He had told me a number of times before Christmas that he needed more winter clothes. I did manage to eke out a few tops that he unwrapped on Christmas day, but decided to keep at it after Christmas. I got this *super* lightweight ivory and black stripe french terry from Surge Fabrics during a sale...I'm not going to lie, it was more lightweight than I was expecting! But I love the texture, and I'm such a sucker for stripes, so I was determined to use it. I lined it with some olive cotton jersey from my stash (probably from Walmart) to make into a raglan hoodie. I just love the way the stripes meet up at the sleeves and bodice! 


I made this using the free Lowland Kids hoodie. I've used it before, and I thought I remembered it being kind of wide, so I made his measured size (a 10, if I recall correctly) and added some length. It turns out it is *not* that wide, however, and would have been long enough on it's own! Lesson learned, I guess. He prefers to wear it as a single layer since it isn't too roomy, but that's fine. As long as he doesn't wear tank tops and shorts in single digit weather, I'm good! 


 

Last and certainly least, I made my first Cousin Eddie cap by Petite Stitchery Co. out of OSU scraps to keep this kiddo's ears warm. Least because of the fabric content, not because of the pattern. I was so pleased by how simply it came together! I wanted to put ties at the bottoms of the ear flaps, which I forgot, but it has still done the trick. Ohhh...that red. Blech. It didn't hurt me *too* much since Michigan was able to beat them this year (finally, ugh.), but I still made him say, "Go Blue!" three times, loudly, before he was allowed to have it. You may notice, too, that it doesn't actually *say* which school it's for anywhere on his hat. 😀  I'm a good mom! 


I had these leftovers after making a North Star (Love Notions) for Dan a few years ago, and I've been anxious for them to leave my scraps box since then. I actually had enough to make a similar hat for Dan, which I probably won't get photos of, ha, and mittens for both of them...which I still need to finish. This boy has decidedly sided with his dad in terms of college football, so I knew he'd appreciate all that. He's worn it a lot and been perfectly obnoxious about it since receiving it, so I'd say it's a win. 

So that's that for this post! Two in one month...I'm feeling good. Hopefully I'll pop in once more with my final Craftsmas items. Let me know if you have questions, and happy sewing! 



Comments

Popular Posts